Thursday, July 15, 2010

Labels

I'm not sure how I feel about labels people are given. They are handed out by our family, our friends, our community, society as a whole. Even our employers try to define us with labels. I've been labeled a number of things . . . Christian, female, divorced, educated, stubborn, independent, loving, musically inclined, sympathetic, political, republican. The list of labels that have been applied to me seems endless. Some are positive, some make me want to cry. This begs the question of what is a label and what does it truly define?

It has been my mission this year to remove some of the labels I've been given and own the ones that define the person I hope to become. I'm ripping up the self-reliant label that I've owned for far too long. I've thought for many years that it was my responsibility to handle every difficult circumstance in my life independently. I've chosen to bear burdens on my own so not to stress out my family and friends. I've blatantly ignored the scriptures that talk about how God wants to be our source and our strength. I made the decision that He was busy and that it was petty of me to expect Him to care about the lack of money in my check book or the small conflict at work that I'm losing sleep over. I wonder if this label was slapped on my the same time I accepted my 'independent' label. God can have them both. :)

I am making a conscious choice to no long be defined by my past, my mistakes, my pain and choosing instead to define myself as a child of an infinitely loving God. I'm embracing my identity. I am taking dominion.

No comments:

Post a Comment